Table of contents:
- Reasons for Mental He alth Needs to be Maintained
- Mental Diseases to Watch Out for
- How to Maintain Mental He alth
Just like physical he alth, mental he alth should not escape your attention, you know. If mental he alth is disturbed, your physical condition and quality of life can also decline. To find out more about mental he alth, let's look at the following review
A person can be said to be mentally he althy when he feels well, psychologically, emotionally, and socially. Mental he alth affects how a person thinks, feels, acts, makes decisions, and interacts with others.
Reasons for Mental He alth Needs to be Maintained
Sensitivity and awareness of mental he alth does not only apply to adults who are productive, but also children, adolescents, and even the elderly.
People with excellent mental he alth can work productively and use their potential to the fullest. He is also able to think positively and clearly when faced with various problems. This will lead him to become a better person in dealing with problems.
Mental he alth is also good for social life. Mentally he althy people communicate better, are sociable, and have he althy friendships. He is also better able to make a good contribution to the community or people around him.
Not only that, mental he alth can also affect physical he alth.As the saying goes “in a he althy body there is a strong soul”, a person with good mental he alth has been shown to have a lower risk of chronic diseases, such as stroke, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
Mental Diseases to Watch Out for
There are many factors that can affect a person's mental he alth, ranging from heredity, past trauma, sexual or physical abuse, an unhe althy lifestyle, to brain injury.
In addition, being in a pandemic situation, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, can also make a person more susceptible to mental he alth disorders.
Based on the symptoms, mental illness is divided into two, namely psychotic and non-psychotic. Here is the explanation:
Psychotic mental illness
Psychotic mental illness or psychosis is a mental condition that makes it difficult for sufferers to distinguish reality and often experience hallucinations, which is seeing or hearing something that is not really there.In addition, psychotic sufferers also believe in something that is actually not true or delusional.
Some mental illnesses that are included in psychotic include:
- Bipolar disorder with psychotic symptoms
- Severe depression with psychotic symptoms
- Delusional disorder
Non-psychotic mental illness
Non-psychotic mental illness does not make the sufferer experience a disturbance of reality. However, people with this mental illness usually experience feelings of disturbance or have a mindset that is not in accordance with applicable laws or norms. This disease is closely related to stress and trauma.
The following are some examples of nonpsychotic mental illnesses:
- Anxiety disorder
- Panic attack
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
How to Maintain Mental He alth
In order to be able to move and interact well in society and avoid mental illness, it is important for you to always maintain mental he alth. The following are general guidelines that can be applied to maintain mental he alth:
- Respect yourself, for example by not comparing yourself to others.
- Try to always see the positive side of a problem.
- Treat yourself as you would treat someone else you care about.
- Find the best ways to manage stress for yourself, such as keeping a diary, going for walks, and talking.
- Be grateful for everything you have so you can accept and love yourself.
- Apply a he althy lifestyle, such as consuming he althy food, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest.
- Develop your potential or try new things you've never done before.
- Maintain good relationship with other people.
- Do things that make you happy.
- Avoid excessive perfectionism.
- Practice meditation or mindfulness techniques to focus your attention and awareness.
It is important to remember that mental he alth is something that should not be ignored and should be maintained as best as possible. Do the ways to maintain mental he alth that has been described above so that your physical, psychological, emotional, and social life are always in good condition.
If you feel you are experiencing signs of a mental disorder or have family or relatives who have this problem, don't be shy to ask a psychologist or psychiatrist for help. With the right treatment, mental he alth disorders can be controlled and you can live a more quality and happier life.