Knowing Profession of Orthopedic Doctor Traumatologist and Reconstructionist

Table of contents:

Knowing Profession of Orthopedic Doctor Traumatologist and Reconstructionist
Knowing Profession of Orthopedic Doctor Traumatologist and Reconstructionist

Orthopedic doctors, traumatologists and reconstructive specialists, are doctors who are trained in treating cases of injuries to the bones, muscles, and connective tissues of the body. This subspecialist doctor also plays an important role in dealing with severe injuries that have the potential to make the sufferer experience disability

Orthopedics is a field of medical science that studies the he alth and disorders of bones, joints, muscles, and connective tissues, such as ligaments and tendons. Disturbances in these body parts can be caused by many things. One of them is injury or injury.In this case, the role of the traumatologist and reconstructive orthopedic doctor is needed.

Getting to Know the Orthopedic Doctor's Profession Traumatologist and Reconstructionist - Alodokter

In addition to handling cases of serious injuries, orthopedic traumatologists and reconstruction specialists also treat cases of bone, joint, and muscle disorders due to genetic disorders or birth defects.

Conditions Treatable by Orthopedic Traumatologists and Reconstructors

The following are conditions or disorders that an orthopedic traumatologist and reconstructive surgeon can treat:

  • Injuries or fractures of bones and joints, including crush injury
  • Bone deformities, for example due to injury, osteoporosis, tumors or cancer, to autoimmune diseases
  • Osteomyelitis or infection of the bone and surrounding tissue
  • Joint disorders, such as arthritis, ligament tears, bursitis, joint dislocation, and joint pain
  • Injury or fracture of spine and pelvis
  • Disorders and injuries to connective tissue, eg tendinitis
  • Knee joint disorders, including meniscus injuries and tears in the knee ligaments
  • Muscle problems, such as muscle tears, hamstring injuries, and compartment syndrome
  • Injuries to the hand and wrist, such as hand and wrist fractures and sprains
  • Infection, injury, to soft tissue tumor or cancer

Measures that Orthopedic Traumatologists and Reconstruction Specialists Can Handle

An orthopedic surgeon who specializes in traumatology and reconstruction can diagnose muscle, bone or tissue disorders and their severity, especially those caused by injuries.

In determining the diagnosis, an orthopedic traumatologist and reconstructive specialist can perform a physical examination and supporting examinations, such as blood and urine tests, X-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, and MRI.

After the diagnosis of orthopedic disorders in the patient is known, the traumatology and reconstruction subspecialist orthopedic doctor can perform treatment in the form of:


Doctors can prescribe medicines according to the patient's needs, for example, NSAIDs class of painkillers to treat pain, antibiotics to treat infections, to calcium and vitamin D supplements to support the recovery process from bone and joint injuries.


In some cases, surgery may be required to treat injuries to bones, joints, or connective tissue. Types of surgery that can be performed by an orthopedic traumatologist and reconstructive surgeon are:

  • Joint replacement surgery, to replace a joint that has been damaged
  • Internal fixation surgery (open reduction internal fictation), to repair damaged bone tissue by attaching pins, screws, or metal plates
  • Fusion or fusion of bone tissue, especially in neck and spine surgery
  • Osteotomy, to correct abnormalities, shape, and position of bones
  • Soft tissue repair surgery, to repair severely damaged muscles, ligaments or tendons
  • Surgery to remove soft tissue and bone tumors
  • venous and arterial reconstruction surgery
  • Arthroscopy, to diagnose and treat joint disorders
  • A amputation, if the patient's bone or joint injury is severe enough


To repair or improve the ability of problematic muscles, bones, and joints, orthopedic traumatologists and reconstruction specialists will advise patients to undergo physiotherapy. Physiotherapy can be done after the patient has recovered from the surgery.

In cases of severe injuries that require the patient to undergo amputation, an orthopedic traumatologist and reconstruction specialist can also advise the patient to use assistive devices or prosthetics.

In practice, traumatologists and reconstructive orthopedic specialists often work closely with other specialists, such as rheumatologists, anesthesiologists, orthopedic doctors, medical rehabilitation doctors, and internal medicine doctors.

The Right Time to Check with an Orthopedic Doctor, a Traumatologist and Reconstructor

You are advised to consult an orthopedic surgeon, a traumatologist and reconstructionist after receiving a referral from a general practitioner or orthopedic doctor. However, you can also immediately consult this subspecialist doctor if you experience the following symptoms:

  • Muscle, joint, or bone pain that persists and doesn't improve after a few days
  • Swelling of joints, muscles, or soft tissues accompanied by pain and a burning sensation to the touch
  • Physical injuries that cause pain, difficulty moving, or open wounds with fractures
  • Stiffness of muscles, joints, or bones
  • Knee pain that doesn't get better or gets worse
  • Tingling or numbness in certain body parts after an injury
  • Changes in the shape of joints and bones, making it difficult to straighten or move

Preparations Before Visiting an Orthopedic Doctor, Traumatologist and Reconstructor

There are several things that you should prepare before seeing an orthopedic surgeon, a traumatologist and reconstructionist, including:

  • Record any complaints or symptoms experienced.
  • Make a note containing the history of the incident and the time the injury occurred, as well as the treatment that has been carried out, for example with drugs or certain actions such as massage and massage.
  • Prepare documents containing medical history, medical history, or results of previous doctor's examinations, if any.
  • Bring a referral letter from another doctor, if you are referred to an orthopedic doctor, a traumatologist and reconstruction specialist.

You can consult an orthopedic traumatologist and reconstructive specialist directly if you experience the complaints as previously mentioned.

If you are still in doubt, you can seek advice from an orthopedic doctor or general practitioner to determine the right orthopedic traumatologist and reconstruction specialist according to your condition.

Popular topic