Table of contents:
Recognizing it or not, almost every day we use a lot of chemicals, such as bathroom cleaning products, detergent soaps, and disinfectants. Although useful, these chemicals can also harm he alth and cause various diseases, you know
Although often needed in everyday life, storing and using chemical-based products should not be careless. This is because some of the chemicals that are often used in our homes have the potential to cause poisoning that can even be fatal.
These 5 Everyday Chemicals That Can Be Dangerous
So, what everyday chemicals can cause harm? The following is a list of these chemicals and their explanations:
1. Carbon monoxide
Heating a car, burning garbage, or cooking in the kitchen are common activities for most people to do everyday. Well, be careful! The smoke that comes from this activity contains carbon monoxide, you know.
Carbon monoxide or CO is a colorless and odorless toxic gas. Without us knowing it, this gas can cause poisoning and he alth problems, such as headaches, dizziness, stomach pain, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, if inhaled.
In fact, people who inhale too much CO gas can also faint and die. In addition, infants, the elderly, and people with anemia, chronic heart disease, and respiratory disorders are at very high risk of being poisoned by inhaling carbon monoxide gas.
In order to avoid the negative impact of inhaling carbon monoxide, you are advised not to heat the car in a closed garage and directly connected to the house, dispose of garbage properly and not burn it, install a smoker in the kitchen, and ensure air circulation at home well.
Just like carbon monoxide, ammonia is colorless, but it gives off a very pungent odor. This gas is mostly found as vapor from household cleaning products, hair dye, or house paint.
Cleaning products with high levels of ammonia can cause side effects, such as irritation and a burning sensation on the skin or eyes. If swallowed or inhaled, ammonia can also irritate the mouth, nose, throat, stomach and lungs.
Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia can cause severe tissue damage, even leading to death.So, to prevent these side effects, you are recommended to always use protection, such as gloves, goggles, and masks, when using products containing ammonia.
At first, chlorine was only found in chemical products used to kill germs in ponds or in plant pesticides. However, now chlorine is often used as a cleaning product or disinfectant, especially since the Corona virus spread.
Inhalation of chlorine can damage the respiratory system and make it difficult for you to breathe. In contact with the skin, chlorine can cause skin irritation, redness, burning, or blistering. Meanwhile, if swallowed, these chemicals can cause a burning sensation in the mouth, stomach pain, vomiting, sore throat, and bloody stools.
As an initial treatment if your skin is splashed with chlorine, immediately wash the affected area with soap and water. If chlorine gets into your eyes, rinse your eyes immediately with running water for at least 15 minutes.However, if chlorine is swallowed, go to the ER immediately for medical attention.
4. Hydrochloric acid
Although it is clear and liquid, hydrochloric acid (HCl) is highly toxic. Chemicals of this type can cause severe damage to body tissues. Hydrochloric acid is often found in fertilizer products, porcelain cleaners, bathroom cleaners, and chemicals for pools.
When exposed to the skin, HCl can cause skin blisters, burning, and pain. If accidentally ingested, this chemical can cause severe burning pain, severe stomach pain, vomiting blood, and chest pain.
Meanwhile, if inhaled, hydrochloric acid can cause damage to the lungs which makes oxygen uptake disrupted. This causes blueness of the lips and nails, chest tightness, choking, coughing up blood, dizziness, and fainting.
If you get splashes of hydrochloric acid on your eyes or skin, it is recommended that you rinse the affected area with water for 15 minutes. If swallowed, you are strongly advised to drink water or milk immediately. Don't try to spit it out.
Meanwhile, if you inhale this toxic chemical, immediately move to an open place and breathe fresh air. After that, immediately go to the nearest hospital for an examination.
5. Sulfuric acid
Sulfuric acid is often found in car batteries, some detergents, fertilizers, and bathroom cleaners. When mixed with water, sulfuric acid can react and produce heat. This chemical is also destructive, like hydrochloric acid.
Sulfuric acid will cause severe irritation if it comes into contact with body tissues. If ingested, these chemicals can burn the mouth and throat, damage the stomach, and even cause death. Meanwhile, if it gets into the eyes, sulfuric acid can cause blindness.
Those are 5 everyday chemicals that can harm you and your family. Therefore, it is very important to store products containing these chemicals safely, especially out of reach of children.If necessary, put a danger sign on the packaging so that all family members can be alert.
If these chemicals are accidentally inhaled, swallowed, or come into contact with the skin, immediately perform first aid and consult a doctor for further treatment.