Table of contents:
Doing a lot of things to make your partner happy is actually natural, really. However, if you have sacrificed a lot but you never get what you deserve, it could be that you are stuck in a codependent relationship. This relationship is unhe althy and must be repaired immediately
Codependent relationship is a term to describe a relationship in which one party always sacrifices his own wants and needs to please the other party. In this relationship, every decision made is not on their own accord, but depends on the approval of the other party.
Recognizing the Signs of Codependent Relationship
Codependent relationships are common in couples who are both drug addicts. However, several studies have shown that codependent relationships are more common in people who have a history of childhood trauma or who have felt neglected by their parents.
These people will generally grow up to be people who are used to "begging" for love from people who are difficult to please. Eventually, this habit was carried over to their personal relationship into adulthood.
Relationships like this can make a person feel worthless. However, that's not all. Codependent relationships can also make a person lose touch with others and ghosting, most often with family or friends.
If a person does not act immediately or leaves a codependent relationship, this condition can cause him to experience mental he alth problems, such as anxiety, stress, to depression. Therefore, realizing that we are in this unhe althy relationship is important.
If you are in a codependent relationship, there are several characteristics that you can feel in yourself, namely:
- Difficulty making decisions in a relationship.
- Be more approving of your partner's decisions and ignore your own opinions and desires.
- Willing to do anything, including things that harm oneself so as not to be abandoned by a partner.
- Difficulty expressing feelings because of fear of hurting your partner or fear of being angry with your partner.
- Difficulty communicating with partner.
- Has a full sense of responsibility for the actions of the partner.
- Feeling that your partner's happiness is a priority, even more than your own.
- Feeling guilty when putting your own desires first.
- Feeling being treated unfairly and not well by your partner, but still can't leave him because he's worried that he can't live without you.
Fix Your Codependent Relationship This Way
Breaking up with your partner is not the only solution to get out of a codependent relationship. So that the relationship you live in becomes he althier and has a positive impact on both of you, apply the following methods:
- Set boundaries regarding things that can be decided together or only decided by yourself.
- Learn to be confident and confident about every decision that has been made.
- Be firm to refuse if you are not comfortable doing something your partner wants.
- Give support to your partner, but within he althy limits, without having to sacrifice all your thoughts and time for them.
- Spend lots of time with family and friends who support and appreciate you.
- More useful activities to improve yourself, such as doing hobbies or studying.
- Keep he althy by eating he althy food, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest.
- Stop thinking negatively about yourself.
In a he althy relationship, ideally each individual gives each other happiness. However, if only one individual struggles to the point of ignoring his own feelings, the relationship must be repaired immediately so that it does not have a negative impact on mental or physical he alth.
Remember, you are as valuable as your partner and you deserve to be in control of your own life.Being a "victim" in a codependent relationship is often closely related to low self-confidence. Therefore, you must learn to respect yourself, yes.
Indeed, this can be difficult for you. However, you can work on it, really. There is a lot of help you can get around you. In fact, don't hesitate to consult a psychologist for advice, so that you and your partner can get out of this unhe althy relationship immediately.