Table of contents:
The increasing use of gadgets, whether for work or entertainment, has caused many people to be exposed to the blue light produced by gadget screens. This makes a lot of people think about wearing blue light blocking glasses
Exposure to short-wave blue light with a wavelength between 415–455 nanometers can cause dry eyes, retinal damage, increase the risk of cataracts, and can change the body's hormone regulation which affects sleep quality.
Pros and Cons of Using Blue Light Blocking Glasses
Blue light blocking glasses are equipped with special lenses that have a number of benefits, including improving sleep quality, reducing eye fatigue symptoms, and preventing diseases caused by exposure to blue light.
Despite having a number of benefits, there are many studies that assess blue light blocking glasses are not completely necessary. This is due to several reasons, namely:
- Blue light from the gadget screen will not cause eye disease because the amount of blue light exposure produced by the gadget is still fairly reasonable. Blue light can cause disease if overexposure.
- Complaints of tired eyes are not caused by blue light, but a person's habit of using gadgets. Bad habit of looking at gadget screens causes eyes to get tired quickly.
- Sleep quality can be improved in simple ways, such as not staring at the screen for a long time before bedtime or setting the gadget to night mode.
According to research, glasses with special lenses that can block blue light should be used if they are often exposed to blue light.
Applying Good Habits
Despite differences of opinion in research regarding the use of special blue ray-blocking eyeglasses, the use of these glasses should be balanced by adopting good habits to maintain eye he alth. These good habits include:
- Reduce the habit of looking at the gadget screen before going to sleep
- Set the distance between the face and the gadget screen at least 60 cm (along the arm)
- Apply the 20-20-20 rule, i.e. every 20 minutes look at an object 20 feet (6 meters) away for 20 seconds
- Adjust the brightness of the gadget screen properly, i.e. not brighter or darker than the surrounding environment
- Increase the consumption of foods that contain antioxidants
- Reducing light exposure at night
- Exercise regularly
By adopting good habits, you can still maintain eye he alth with or without blue-ray blocking glasses, anti-radiation glasses, nano-ion glasses, or other therapeutic glasses. If you are still in doubt, consult an ophthalmologist directly.
dr. Dian Hadiany Rahim, SpM