Table of contents:
- Is Organic Food Really Good for He alth?
- Is Organic Food He althier for Babies?
- What are the Tips for Choosing and Processing Food to be He althier?
Organic food is now getting more and more popular with some people. Although the price is much more expensive, organic food is claimed to be he althier than ordinary or non-organic food. Is that right? Come on, see the facts in this article
Organic food is a type of food that is produced by natural methods or processed without the use of chemicals, additives, and genetic engineering.
Examples of organic food are fruits and vegetables grown using only natural fertilizers, such as manure. Meanwhile, organic meat or fish are cultivated or raised without hormones or antibiotics.
Why Are Organic Foods He althier?
There are several reasons behind the claim that organic food is he althier than ingredients developed using conventional methods. Here are some reasons:
1. Organic food ingredients do not contain synthetic pesticides
Most organic foods do not use synthetic pesticides or chemicals to protect vegetables and fruit from fungi, pests and insects. This type of pesticide is feared to contain more harmful chemical compounds.
Even if we use pesticides, organic vegetables and fruits are usually only grown using small amounts of organic pesticides.
2. Organic food ingredients do not contain additives
Organic food is also not processed and processed with additives or ingredients. The additives referred to are preservatives, artificial sweeteners, coloring agents, and flavorings such as monosodium glutamate (MSG).
3. Organic food ingredients are claimed to be more environmentally friendly
Not only beneficial for he alth, organically processed food is also claimed to be more environmentally friendly because it can preserve water and soil from chemical pollution.
As an alternative, planting organic vegetables and fruits usually uses natural predators, such as ducks and chickens, to eradicate pests. This natural method is known to be safer and no less effective to produce he althy and environmentally friendly organic food.
4. Organic food ingredients are considered more nutritious
Several studies say that organic foods, especially fruits and vegetables, have more nutrients and antioxidants in them than fruits or vegetables that are processed using conventional methods.
However, this has not been fully proven and still requires further research.
Is Organic Food Really Good for He alth?
Behind the various reasons above, you may still be wondering, do organic food ingredients really bring he alth benefits?
Until now, there is no definite answer about this because there is not much evidence to show that consuming organic food actually brings more he alth benefits than conventional food.
Besides that, there are also some consequences that you need to know if you eat organic food, namely:
- The price of organic foodstuffs is higher than conventional foodstuffs because organic farming and animal husbandry require more stringent care methods to protect crops or livestock.
- Organic food ingredients decompose faster because they do not contain preservatives.
- The shape, size and appearance of organic food are not as big and attractive as conventional food ingredients. This is because it does not use certain chemicals to trigger the growth of plants or animals.
- Organic pesticides also contain harmful substances. One example is solanine. If accidentally ingested when consuming unwashed organic fruit or vegetables, these substances can cause food poisoning and cause digestive problems.
Is Organic Food He althier for Babies?
Many claim that organic baby food is he althier than non-organic food. This is because organic food is considered more nutritious and does not pose a risk of exposing the baby to artificial chemicals. However, this is not entirely true.
Actually, pesticide levels in non-organic foodstuffs are not always excessive. In addition, some organic ingredients also use pesticides, but the amount is indeed less than non-organic food.
So, in terms of nutrition and safety, both organic and non-organic foods are both nutritious and good for consumption by babies and children. However, with a note that this food is processed in the right way and given as needed.
When you want to give food to children, such as fruit and vegetables, remember to always wash your hands and wash the fruit or vegetables first to reduce chemical contamination and germs attached to the food.
What are the Tips for Choosing and Processing Food to be He althier?
Choose consumption of organic or non-organic food depending on the needs of each individual. However, there are some tips that you can do when choosing and processing food to make it he althier, including:
- Buy food, such as fresh meat, fish, fruit and vegetables.
- Read packaged food labels carefully. Even though they are labeled organic, certain food products still contain excessive calories, sugar and s alt.
- Wash fruits and vegetables under running water before consuming or processing. This is intended to remove dirt, dust, bacteria, and chemicals adhering to the layers of the skin.
- Peel the skin of fruit or vegetables if you want to reduce the risk of exposure to pesticides that do not disappear with the washing process. However, this method can remove some of the fiber and nutrients.
From the explanation above, claims related to organic food which are considered he althier than ordinary food actually still require further research.
He althy or not will depend on how you process certain organic food ingredients. If you want to eat organic food, make sure you keep your nutritional intake balanced and in accordance with previous medical history.
For example, if you have high blood pressure, make sure to reduce s alt in food processing, both organic and non-organic. If necessary, you can consult a doctor or a nutritionist to find out the needs and types of food according to your he alth condition.