Hair Loss Facts during Pregnancy and Tips for Overcoming It

Table of contents:

Hair Loss Facts during Pregnancy and Tips for Overcoming It
Hair Loss Facts during Pregnancy and Tips for Overcoming It
Anonim

Hair loss during pregnancy is a condition that is often experienced by at least 40–50% of pregnant women. Although quite common, these complaints are generally only temporary. However, if the condition of hair loss is quite disturbing, there are some tips that pregnant women can do to overcome it

Some pregnant women may experience hair growth and changes to become thicker and shinier. However, not a few pregnant women actually experience hair loss during pregnancy.

Facts about Hair Loss during Pregnancy and Tips for Overcoming It - Alodokter

This condition is generally caused by an increase in the hormone progesterone which makes hair drier and more prone to breakage or fall out.

Facts About Hair Loss during Pregnancy

Basically, 90% of the hair on the head is going through a growth phase, while the other 10% is in a resting phase which will then fall out every 2-3 months to be replaced with new hair.

During pregnancy, hormonal changes sometimes cause the number of hairs that enter the resting phase to increase by up to 60%. This condition is also known as telogen effluvium. Hair loss during pregnancy usually occurs between 1-5 months of gestation.

In addition to hormonal changes, hair loss during pregnancy is also sometimes caused by certain conditions, such as:

  • Mineral or vitamin deficiency
  • Stress during pregnancy
  • Cutting the use of birth control pills or injectable contraceptives
  • Certain diseases, such as thyroid disorders and PCOS
  • Side effects of drugs, such as blood pressure lowering drugs, blood thinning drugs, epilepsy drugs, and antidepressants

Tips for Overcoming Hair Loss During Pregnancy

If pregnant women experience hair loss and feel disturbed by it, there are various ways that can be done to minimize hair loss, namely:

1. Use the right shampoo

When shampooing, use shampoo and conditioner with gentle and non-irritating ingredients. When choosing shampoo and conditioner, choose products that contain silica and biotin, because they are considered safe and effective for dealing with hair loss.

2. Avoid combing hair when it's wet

Hair tends to be more brittle when wet. Therefore, avoid combing your hair when it is wet, especially with a fine-toothed comb. Wet hair can be combed first using your fingers. Also, avoid brushing your hair too often.

3. Avoid tying your hair too often

Too often tie your hair, whether tied back into a bun or a ponytail, you risk making your hair break more easily. Pregnant women are advised to let their hair down more often.

4. Avoid certain hair treatments

Drying hair using a hair dryer with maximum heat, straightening hair too often and using curling irons, and coloring hair with harsh chemical hair dyes can also exacerbate hair loss during pregnancy.

If you really need to style your hair in some of the ways above, pregnant women should use a hair dryer or straightener with a low heat. To prevent hair loss, pregnant women should also delay dyeing their hair.

5. Consumption of vegetables and fruit

Fruits and vegetables contain lots of antioxidants and flavonoids. These ingredients are believed to strengthen growing hair and protect hair follicles, so hair doesn't fall out easily.

Several types of fruits and vegetables that contain these two nutrients include strawberries, cabbage, spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli. Antioxidants are also abundant in dark chocolate and green tea.

6. Use special supplements

Supplements containing vitamin C, biotin, vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and zinc are proven to strengthen hair. However, if you want to use these supplements to treat hair loss, pregnant women should consult a doctor first.

Generally, complaints of hair loss during pregnancy are only temporary and can disappear on their own later after the pregnant woman gives birth. However, if you feel disturbed by the complaint and want to treat it, pregnant women can consult a gynecologist so that the treatment can be carried out appropriately.

Popular topic