Beware of Hard-to-Detect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Table of contents:

Beware of Hard-to-Detect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Beware of Hard-to-Detect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Anonim

Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odor or color. This gas generally comes from smoke from stoves and motor vehicles as well as burning garbage. When inhaled, carbon monoxide can damage internal organs and cause various he alth problems

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that comes from burning gasoline, wood, charcoal, propane, or other fuels. In everyday life, this gas is contained in the smoke of cars, motorcycles, gas stoves, stoves, cigarette smoke, and lanterns. Carbon monoxide is also commonly found in air that is polluted by air pollution.

Beware of Hard-to-Detect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Alodokter

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas because it can make people who breathe it experience various he alth problems. In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can even lead to death.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Difficult to Detect

Given that carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, detecting and avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning is often difficult.

Moreover, carbon monoxide poisoning does not cause any typical symptoms. A number of symptoms that generally appear even tend to be the same as mild flu symptoms which often do not require special treatment because they can heal on their own.

A person who is exposed to carbon monoxide can realize that something is wrong in his body, but he may not be able to describe and not know why the complaint arises.People who are poisoned by carbon monoxide while sleeping or drunk can even die before experiencing symptoms.

This is what makes carbon monoxide poisoning known as the silent killer.

Due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

When inhaled, carbon monoxide enters the bloodstream and attaches to hemoglobin, a component of red blood cells that carries oxygen and carbon dioxide.

This makes the blood unable to supply enough oxygen to the body's organs or get rid of carbon dioxide properly. Without enough oxygen, organ cells will die and organ functions cannot run properly.

Carbon monoxide can also act directly as a poison that damages organs. Poisoning with this gas can cause a wide variety of symptoms, depending on the organs affected and the amount of carbon monoxide inhaled.

If the inhaled carbon monoxide is still in low amounts, the symptoms that appear are usually similar to the symptoms of food poisoning and the flu. The difference is, carbon monoxide poisoning does not cause fever.

The following are symptoms that can be experienced if you are exposed to low amounts of carbon monoxide:

  • Dizzy
  • Body feels weak suddenly
  • Shortness of breath
  • Daze
  • stomach pain
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • chest pain

The symptoms above will usually disappear gradually when you move away from the source of exposure to carbon monoxide. On the other hand, if you are constantly exposed to this gas, the symptoms that appear can be even more severe.

The following are symptoms that you can experience when exposed to large amounts of carbon monoxide:

  • Loss of balance
  • Blurred vision
  • Difficulty thinking or concentrating
  • Vertigo
  • Difficulty controlling body movements
  • Seizure
  • Loss of consciousness or fainting

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a condition that needs to be treated immediately. If treatment is slow, a number of very dangerous complications can arise.

In pregnant women, carbon monoxide poisoning that is not treated immediately has the potential to cause fetal death in the womb. Meanwhile, in adults and children, complications from this condition can include permanent brain damage, severe heart problems, and even death.

First Aid and How to Prevent It

When experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you should immediately stay away from the suspected carbon monoxide source and go out into the open.

If someone faints, has difficulty breathing, or even can't breathe at all, apply compression cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR to the person and ask someone else to contact the nearest hospital immediately.

Given that carbon monoxide can be sourced from frequently used machines and equipment, it is important to know how to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Some simple steps that can be taken are:

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home, workplace or car.
  • Make sure the ventilation of the house is functioning properly, especially in rooms with gas appliances.
  • If you park your motorbike or car in an indoor garage, make sure the garage door is open before you start the vehicle.
  • Avoid using stoves with chemical fuels indoors.
  • Avoid placing an electric generator that is running in the house.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a dangerous condition and is often difficult to detect. Therefore, do not delay to see a doctor immediately when you feel the symptoms, especially if you are often in an environment that has the potential to produce carbon monoxide gas

Popular topic