Table of contents:
- Considering the He alth Benefits of Circumcision
- Adult Circumcision Procedure
- Treatment After Adult Circumcision
The procedure for adult and child circumcision is generally the same. However, the treatment after undergoing adult circumcision may be slightly different from that of child circumcision, because there are several important things that must be considered
Circumcision is a method of removing the skin covering the head of the penis. In Indonesia, circumcision is usually performed for religious reasons when boys reach elementary school age. However, adult men who have not done so can still undergo adult circumcision.
Considering the He alth Benefits of Circumcision
In addition to being based on religious advice, circumcision basically has many benefits that are good for he alth. Here are some he alth benefits of circumcision that you need to know:
- Reducing the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases and their complications, such as epididymitis and orchiitis (inflammation of the testicles) which can reduce fertility
- Reducing the risk of urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Prevents phimosis or the inability to retract the skin of the penis or foreskin
- Prevents balanitis (inflammation of the tip of the head of the penis) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the head of the penis and foreskin)
- Reducing the risk of cervical cancer in female partners and also penile cancer
Because circumcision removes the skin at the tip of the penis or foreskin, it makes the penis easier to clean.So, for those of you who have never had a circumcision procedure as a child, it's never too late to reduce the risk of getting the above diseases with adult circumcision.
Adult Circumcision Procedure
Compared to circumcision in infants or children, the adult circumcision procedure can take longer, which is about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Before the circumcision procedure begins, the doctor will administer anesthesia. This anesthetic option can be through local anesthesia, half body, or general anesthesia that puts you to sleep.
If the doctor applies general anesthesia, a breathing apparatus will be placed in your mouth or nose and your condition will be monitored during the operation.
After being sedated, a special clamp or plastic ring will be attached to the penis. Then, the doctor will remove the skin covering the head of the penis and cut it. Finally, the penis will be smeared with an ointment such as petroleum jelly and then wrapped loosely with gauze.
Treatment After Adult Circumcision
After doing adult circumcision, your penis may look red, swollen, or bruised with pain at the tip of the penis. However, it usually gets better in 7−10 days.
Adult circumcision patients will usually make a full recovery within 2-3 weeks. During this recovery period, there are several treatments that you need to do, including:
- Avoid strenuous activities and wearing tight pants so as not to trigger pain and swelling.
- Take painkillers and antibiotics as directed
- Clean the penis after removing the gauze by wiping it with a warm washcloth or towel without soap.
- Avoid soaking in warm water until approved by the doctor.
- After being allowed to bathe or the penis has healed, carefully clean the penis with mild soap and clean water.
In addition, it is also important to remember that after undergoing adult circumcision, it is not recommended to have sex or masturbate for four to six weeks.
If after performing adult circumcision you experience fever, blood in the urine, or pain and swelling of the penis that does not improve, see a doctor immediately for further treatment.