Table of contents:
- What is Hydrotalcite
- Warning Before Taking Hydrotalcite
- Dosage and Instructions for Use of Hydrotalcite
- How to Take Hydrotalcite Correctly
- Hydrotalcite Interaction with Other Drugs
- Side Effects and Hazards of Hydrotalcite
Hydrotalcite is a drug to relieve symptoms of stomach ulcers, heartburn, stomach inflammation (gastritis), or stomach ulcers. This drug belongs to the antacid group
Hydrotalcite is also known as aluminum magnesium carbonate hydroxide hydrate. Hydrotalcite works by lowering the acidity level in the stomach. That way, symptoms such as heartburn and heartburn can subside. Please note, this drug can not reduce the production of stomach acid.
Trademark of hydrotalcite: Promag
What is Hydrotalcite
|Benefits||Relieves symptoms of dyspepsia or stomach ulcers|
|Consumed by||Children from 6 years old to adults|
|Hydrotalcite for pregnant and lactating mothers||Category N: Not categorized yet.
The hydrotalcite content can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not take this medicine before consulting your doctor.
|Medicine form||Chewable tablets and liquid suspension|
Warning Before Taking Hydrotalcite
Although sold freely, hydrotalcite should not be used carelessly. Before taking this drug, you need to pay attention to the following things:
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to hydrotalcite.
- Tell your doctor if you have diarrhea, constipation, intestinal obstruction, liver disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, or kidney disease, including kidney stones.
- Some suspension hydrotalcite products may contain aspartame, tell your doctor if you have phenylketonuria.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- See your doctor immediately if you experience an allergic reaction to the drug, serious side effects, or an overdose after taking hydrotalcite.
Dosage and Instructions for Use of Hydrotalcite
In general, the following dosages of hydrotalcite to treat dyspepsia or stomach ulcers are according to age and the dosage form of the drug:
- Children aged >12 years and adults: For a suspension containing 500 mg hydrotalcite/5 ml, the dosage is 10 ml, taken between meals and before bedtime.
- Children aged 6–12 years: For a suspension containing 500 mg hydrotalcite/5 ml, the dose is 5 ml taken between meals and before bedtime.
- Adult: 1–2 tablets, 3-4 times a day.
How to Take Hydrotalcite Correctly
Consumption of hydrotalcite according to the doctor's recommendations or the instructions for use contained in the package. Hydrotalcite chewable tablets need to be chewed first and taken with a glass of water, while hydrotalcite in the form of a liquid suspension needs to be shaken before consumption.
If you need to take other drugs, take them 1-4 hours after taking hydrotalcite. Hydrotalcite is usually taken when symptoms develop, after meals, or before bed. Make sure to stay in an upright position for 1-2 hours after taking the medicine.
Hydrotalcite can generally be consumed within a maximum period of 2 weeks. If your condition does not improve, consult a doctor immediately.
If you forget to take hydrotalcite, take it immediately if the interval between the next consumption time is not too close. When it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Store hydrotalcite at room temperature in a dry and cool place. Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
Hydrotalcite Interaction with Other Drugs
The following are some of the effects of drug interactions that can occur if hydrotalcite is used with certain drugs:
- Decreased absorption and effectiveness of tetracycline, quinolone, or iron class of antibiotics
- Increased levels of magnesium in the blood (hypermagnesemia) especially in patients with impaired kidney function when used with vitamin D3
- Increased risk of heart rhythm disturbances when used with albuterol
Side Effects and Hazards of Hydrotalcite
The following are side effects that can occur after using hydrotalcite:
Consult a doctor if the side effects mentioned above do not subside or are getting worse. See a doctor immediately if you experience an allergic reaction to a drug or a more serious side effect, such as:
- Stool is black
- stomach ache
- slow breath or short breath
- Mood swings and mental state changes
- Pain when urinating
- Vomit that is the color of coffee grounds
- Symptoms of low phosphate levels, which are characterized by loss of appetite, excessive fatigue, or muscle weakness
- Slow or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)